Monday, December 5, 2011

maine folklife center


While researching for a possible upcoming project, I've come across the Maine Folklife Center archives at the University of Maine in Orono.  The collection centers around the "documentation of occupations, foodways, community histories, lore and legends, traditional music, social activities, ritual and worship, material culture, and expressive arts."

Although an appointment with the collection is in the near forecast, it is also an excellent online resource.  My search began with traditional foods in Maine, and of course, I got lost in the website. In particular, I am fond of the interactive Maine Song and Story Sampler Map, which provides sound clips and transcripts. I recommend listening to the song entitled "Guy Reed," which tells of the tragic death of a young lumberjack in 1897. The poignant intonation in this 1961 recording leaves no question as to the emotional relevance of the story this song tells.